[nagdu] The Requirement of a Harness

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Tue Oct 27 19:16:44 UTC 2009

Beverly,
    You ask a good question. The answer is very simple: You ask! The
requirement of a harness is a myth that is promulgated by some of the guide
dog schools. Not all service animals wear a harness and the ADA makes no
mention of any such requirement. Although some state laws do require
harnesses and documentation/identification, such requirements are
unenforceable, as to make such a requirement would violate the individuals
rights under Federal law. According to the Department of Justice, an entity
may ask if a person is disabled (only qualified individuals with a
disability have the right to be accompanied by a service animal), but may
not ask about the nature of the disability. An entity may also ask if the
animal is a service animal, how the animal was trained, and what tasks the
animal performs, but may not ask for a demonstration of these tasks. (How
would someone with a seizure disorder, for example, demonstrate the tasks
the animal performs without having a seizure?) Furthermore, the entity has
the right to refuse to allow access to a person accompanied by a service
animal if it can be demonstrated that the presence of the service animal
poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others that cannot be
eliminated by a modification of policies, practices, or procedures or if the
animal is out of control and the handler does not take action to control the
animal. In such cases in which the animal is not allowed to accompany the
person with a disability, the entity must allow the person access without
the animal being present.
    Whether a guide dog is in harness or not, the dog is still a service
animal, as defined by the ADA. Therefore, under such circumstances as
staying in a hotel and taking the dog out for relief, one may not have the
dog in harness. Similarly, if you are on a trip on an over-the-road bus or
in a taxicab, it may be more comfortable for the dog to not wear its
harness. Under such circumstances, you are still protected by the ADA!
    I hope this is helpful to you. If you or anyone else would like to
discuss this further, this list is the perfect place to do so!

fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala