[nagdu] The Requirement of a Harness

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Tue Oct 27 19:26:07 UTC 2009

Dar,
    In the circumstances I mentioned in my previous post, I may choose to
not harness my dog. Also, if I am out for a walk and happen to have my dog
with me, I may decide to stop into a convenience store for a bottle of
water. Under this circumstance, my dog is still a service animal and I have
the right to have him/her accompany me. Furthermore, though my previous dog
was not trained by the school to do so, she would leash guide me as well as
if she were in harness. I understand that some other schools do train for
this, as some may not want to deal with the harness while moving around at
work, e.g., going to the bathroom or to the break room for a cup of coffee!
There are so many circumstances under which we may choose to have our dogs
with us in public without the harness. Most will remember the discussion
about the requirement of pet tags on the beach. This is another example of a
place in which we can bring our service animals and may not wish to have
them in harness.
    Of course, if you choose to never take your dog into a public
accommodation without the harness, this is your choice! If, on the other
hand, you do, this is your civil right!

Fraternally yours,
Marion