[nagdu] The Requirement of a Harness

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 28 10:29:16 UTC 2009

Dar,
    I completely understand the frustration felt by those who take advantage
of the legal provisions in place to protect our civil rights by taking pets
into public places. Unfortunately, too many are not aware of the difference
between a service animal, comfort/assistance animals, and pets! If the
Deacon were to have been better informed, he might have asked "What service
does the animal perform?" If she were to have said, "It comforts me!" and he
was well-informed he might have been able to tell her it was not a service
animal, as comfort is not a trained task, but an innate capacity.
Furthermore, churches are not a public accommodation under the ADA and are
not required to modify their policies, practices, and procedures for a
person who is disabled. In other words, a church does not need to follow the
ADA and allow service animals on their properties.

Fraternally yours,
Marion