[nagdu] GDF Questions

Gary rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 30 15:32:36 UTC 2009

Hello Albert:

How are you. I am on the guide dog list as well and have applied at
gdf. I am curious what you thought of the schools programs? This is
your first dog? It will be mine as well. Taking that in mind, how did
you find the training program? Was it reasonably easy to learn what you
needed to learn to work with your new dog? Did the bonding process go
smoothly for you?

With regard to the schools guiding philosophy, how do they teach you to
use the harness? I have done two Juno walks (using a harness without the
>dog) with two different schools and they had very different styles. One
had the dog slightly ahead of me so that my arm was forward at about a
45 degree angle (or maybe slightly less). They also had quite a bit of
pull/tension  on the
harness by the dog. The other school I have done this walk with had my
arm down more by my side, say around the place where the seem of your
pants would be with very little tension on the harness.

I have decided I like the second way much better so want to be sure
that the school I go to does not do it the way my first walker did.

What does gdf do?

Thanks very much for anything you are willing to share with me. I am
waiting for a poodle so I have applied at three schools.

Feel free to apply off line at g.steeves at shaw.ca if you would prefer.

have a great day.
Gary

Gary Steeves, BSW, RSW