[nagdu] The Requirement of a Harness

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 30 15:49:08 UTC 2009

Dar,

Hmm...  In my case, it's usually because we're running down to the store in
the car and take the dogs along for the road trip there and back, but it's
easier to grab a cane than to harness the dog.  Especially given the extreme
antics of the non-guide dog at the prospect of a road trip!  /rotfl/  She
can't hold still long enough for DD to clip her leash on, but we figure all
that excitement and joy and song and dance (she's a coonhound; very
operatic) is good for her emotional rehab, so we let her have her fun.  This
is very disruptive to the process of getting a harness on Mitzi, so for
quick trips, I just take Mitzi as a "free poodle" in the car, which gives
her much-needed fun until it's time to go into the store in a more
professional capacity with all those boring good manners.

Also, since she can still have her wild youth days, if I routinely take her
with me, I still have the ultimate weapon to remind her sit up and look
sharp:  "If you can't mind your manners, you'll have to wait in the car with
Daisy."  /lol/  Believe it or not, this shapes her right up.  Leaving her in
the car for even a minute, Daisy or no Daisy, is even more cruel and unusual
punishment than showing her the Halti! /grin/

With a poodle, I have decided, you use the tools you have to gain
cooperation.  /smile/  I love that temperament, but it does require
adjustments.

Tami Smith-Kinney