[nagdu] Juno walks

AnnaLisa Anderson annalisa at sector14.net
Sat Oct 31 20:04:48 UTC 2009

Hi Angie and all,

This reminded me of something funny that happened during my last training
class, when I got Sunny.  I was doing a juno walk with my trainer, and at
one point Juno stopped to sniff something I think, and I gave a correction
and pulled the harness right out of the trainer's hand.  Actually it
happened more than once. <smile>  I didn't even think it was that hard of a
correction, but I caught the trainer off guard I guess because I was so
quick about it.  He teasingly accused me later of taking Juno's head off.
No, I don't make it a routine to give hard corrections, and no one I ever
did a juno walk with ever asked me to give the hardest correction I could.
I do remember my first trainer though, tying a harness and leash to a fence
post and telling me to give a two-handed leash correction with everything I
had.  I respected him so I did as he asked, but I remember it broke my heart
because I was thinking, I hope I never have to do that with a real dog.
Fortunately I've never had to correct a real dog that hard, and since those
days I have learned a whole lot, and I think the schools have too, that
positive methods work much better.

AnnaLisa and Sundance