[nagdu] a question stemming from a hot debate

Chasity Jackson chasityvanda at charter.net
Mon Sep 14 22:08:16 UTC 2009

Hey all,

After having a discussion with a friend this afternoon, who is a first time guide dog owner, I wanted to ask this question, just for curiosity's sake.

How many of you believe that if you let your dog bond with family and friends, that means that you aren't a good guide dog user and owner? This person told me that he does not let his family interact with his dog for more than a few seconds. Now I totally respect everyone's right to be different, and I respect his right to do that, but then he went so far as to say that I don't act like I know how to use a guide dog because I said that I see nothing wrong with family and friends playing with your dog when they're at your house. Now, I'm not talking about when the dog is in harness, or if you're out running errands, etc. Of course, I am a stickler for that, when your dog is working, he or she is working and should not be bothered. I am talking about if your buddy comes over on Sunday afternoon to watch football, and wants to sit on the floor and bond with your dog, or maybe throw a ball, etc. I personally don't see anything wrong with that after the bonding stages are over, and as long as your dog isn't a brand new dog that is still trying to bond with you. Not that anyone's responses will change my mind, but I was just curious to see how many people agree with me and how many agree with him. Just a topic of discussion here on the list.

Chasity