[nagdu] a question stemming from a hot debate

Allison Nastoff anastoff at wi.rr.com
Tue Sep 15 00:07:50 UTC 2009

Hi Chasity,
I totally agree with you.  As long as Gilbert is not working, I
see nothing wrong with letting family and friends interact with
him.  After all, when he is not working, he is a pet, so why not
let people play with him? I am a little more strict with Gilbert
than I would be with a pet of course; for example, I don't let
people feed him or take him outside off leash.  (My brother's
insisting that table scraps wouldn't hurt Gilbert was resolved by
the way.) But just petting him or playing in the house is no
problem.
Allison and Gilbert

first time guide dog owner, I wanted to ask this question, just
for curiosity's sake.

>How many of you believe that if you let your dog bond with family
and friends, that means that you aren't a good guide dog user and
owner? This person told me that he does not let his family
interact with his dog for more than a few seconds.  Now I totally
respect everyone's right to be different, and I respect his right
to do that, but then he went so far as to say that I don't act
like I know how to use a guide dog because I said that I see
nothing wrong with family and friends playing with your dog when
they're at your house.  Now, I'm not talking about when the dog
is in harness, or if you're out running errands, etc.  Of course,
I am a stickler for that, when your dog is working, he or she is
working and should not be bothered.  I am talking about if your
buddy comes over on Sunday afternoon to watch football, and wants
to sit on the floor and bond with your dog, or maybe throw a
ball, etc.  I personally don't see anything wrong with that after
the bonding stages are over, and as long as your dog isn't a
brand new dog that is still trying to bond with you.  Not that
anyone's responses will change my mind, but I was just curious to
see how many people agree with me and how many agree with him.
Just a topic of discussion here on the list.