[nagdu] Toys and Words

Joy Relton jrelton at verizon.net
Tue Sep 15 13:39:17 UTC 2009

Nicole,

Dogs are smart, but they are not geniuses. They follow commands based on
tone of voice and context. If you don't believe it, try telling your dog
that he/she is a moth eaten mutt in an enthusiastic voice like "that's a
good girl". The response is the same as if you have praised them. I use a
few terms that were not used in the class because I remember them easier.
The dog knows what I mean because I ask her these things in different
context and she shows it to me.

Balls and frizbies are fun toys for dogs. They are dogs and love to play.
You need to control when and where these events occur so that they are safe.
The issue of frizbies and balls when guiding aren't the balls and frizbies
themselves, but the distraction. It's just as dangerous for a dog to dive
for a snack in the street as it is for a frizby. Many times, when we are
learning and teaching new things we use examples and instructions which are
not meant to be taken literally. I think that this is one of those times.
Remember, you are an intelligent person. Use your judgment and think things
through. I wouldn't throw a ball or a frizby for my dog in an area where she
could run into the street to fetch it. I wouldn't let others do that either.
But, I will throw them gently in the house or in the fenced-in backyard. We
enjoy it. Life only comes around once. Enjoy it with your dog.

That's my nickel's worth.

Joy with Belle who loves frizbies and balls, and, if she doesn't get
attention when she wantsit, she tries to grab a dish towel or a pillow.