[nagdu] Toys and Words

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 20:43:34 UTC 2009

My dog understands cues and words in two languages because I am,
myself, bilingual.

She does seem to understand two or three-word sentences in either
language.  I can tell her to bring me her water dish, or my shoes, or
a can of coke and I don't just use one word when I communicate these
wants to her.

Also when she's guiding I tend to give two or three-word cues or ideas.

If she catches some words in English or in ASL, you can tell that she
knows what they are.  My dog watches my ASL interpreters as well as my
other conversations with other D/deaf/deafblind people, and will
become very excited when we're talking about her; she recognizes her
name in English and ASL and the cues which come after.  I've never
felt it was necessary to truncate my cues or suggestions to one word.

As for toys, my dogs play with a wide variety of toys including balls
of many types and frisbees.  My dog has never become distracted and
her work has never suffered because of it.
This is just my experience and YMMV etc.

Rox and the Kitchen Bitches
Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD. and Laveau Guide Dog, CGC.
"Struggle is a never ending process. Freedom is never really won, you
earn it and win it in every generation."
-- Coretta Scott King
pawpower4me at gmail.com

Windows Live Only: Brisomania at hotmail.com
AIM: Brissysgirl Yahoo: lillebriss