[nagdu] Gary's future dog

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 22 16:54:29 UTC 2009

Hello Rebecca:

I too agree that Joy's message was a good one. In fact everyone's responses to my perhaps too detailed questions has been really helpful as I go through the process of preparing myself for the change a dog will bring into my life.  Honestly, I believe that I am ready for this change and most aspects of my life  are solid and stable which I think was important before beginning this process. I am a detailed oriented person so this means I ask a lot of questions. Of course, I realize that every dog and every situation are different but those who share their thoughts / experiences help me get a realistic picture of what having a gide dog is like.

With regards to the issues around allergies I disagree with you. There is a reason why schools use poodles (and some other breeds) since many people have allergies but would benefit from what a guide dog can do for them. I appreciate that picking one breed for ones dog is a limiting factor but this is just how it has to be. I am willing to wait for the proper match and I trust the schools I have applied to will also be patient to ensure they have a good match for my lifestyle and personality.

I really appreciate reading peoples discussions on here. The discussion about toys, harness signs and others have answered questions before I even asked them. I have to say that checking my mailbox where all my guide dog lists send to is now the pleasure of my day.

Thanks everyone and I appreciate your    openness in sharing your opinions with all of us on the list.

Enjoy the day.

Gary