[nagdu] Interpreter Services

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 02:00:59 UTC 2009

Peter, let me address some points here.

In 2006, NAGDU did *not* provide an ASL interpreter.  They helped find
a captioner who typed the information for me to read.  This is not the
same thing, although it can work well for some Deafblind people but
not all.
Secondly, I had to request interpreters from ACB.  It is no different
than going to a doctor, or to a meeting with the Social Security
Administration.  Those places are expected to provide interpreters
just as they should provide interpreters for Spanish-speaking clients,
just as they provide information in an accessible format.

I am more than willing to work with federation leadership to secure
funding for interpreters, but asking me to bring my own interpreter is
like asking people at other conferences to bring someone to read
printed material.

Finally, my hearing has decreased drastically since you met me in
2006.  I can no longer make use of FM transmitter devices.

Rox and the Kitchen Bitches
Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD. and Laveau Guide Dog, CGC.
"Struggle is a never ending process. Freedom is never really won, you
earn it and win it in every generation."
-- Coretta Scott King
pawpower4me at gmail.com

Windows Live Only: Brisomania at hotmail.com
AIM: Brissysgirl Yahoo: lillebriss