[nagdu] convention 2010 ???

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 03:05:08 UTC 2009

Peter,

I am profoundly deaf.  I can only use one hearing aid.  I can hear
speech if it is one on one in a quiet room with no background noise,
if the person is a native English speaker with no accent like a Boston
Accent which makes it impossible for me to understand.

I cannot use an FM system.
It is very easy for a hearing person to tell me what I should and or
should not do but most people, even people who are hard of hearing and
who wear hearing aids in one or both ears can hear much better than I
can.  I have a 105 db loss in my *good* ear, this is going to get
worse and I will probably be unable to use the one hearing aid in a
year or two.

Just as people who are blind can decide whether braille, large print
or audio recordings work best for them, People who are D/deaf/hard of
hearing have the right to decide what is best for them and what will
meet their needs.  This may be an FM system.  It may be a captioner,
in my case it is an ASL interpreter.

I apologize to Julie and the rest of the list for going off topic.

Rox and the Kitchen Bitches
Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD. and Laveau Guide Dog, CGC.
"Struggle is a never ending process. Freedom is never really won, you
earn it and win it in every generation."
-- Coretta Scott King
pawpower4me at gmail.com

Windows Live Only: Brisomania at hotmail.com
AIM: Brissysgirl Yahoo: lillebriss