[nagdu] NLS book with guide dog

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Sep 28 18:52:08 UTC 2009

Cruising the new releases of digital books from NLS, I see Bill Irwin's
account of hiking the Applachian Trail with his Seeing Eye dog.  I've
pasted the blurb below, in case anyone is interested.  I'm sure it's
available on cassette, too.

Blind Courage
Irwin, Bill. Read by Terence Aselford. Reading time 10 hours 31 minutes.
Blindness and Physical Handicaps

A variety of problems involving family, alcoholism, and blindness prompted
middle-aged Bill Irwin's decision to tackle the 2,000-mile- long
Appalachian
Trail with his dog guide Orient. For eight months in 1990, the
self-proclaimed non-hiker made his way along the sometimes treacherous
trail--a feat he
credits to God. In describing the trip, Irwin stresses the helpfulness of
the other "thru-hikers" he met.