[nagdu] Blind Inc.

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 2 12:22:32 UTC 2010

I would just like to state what I learned as a first time guide dog user,
now I didn't go to any of the schools but I did have one of the best
mobility instructors here on Long Island from what others say when it came
to my cane training.

The Guide Dog Foundation of the Blind, needs to know that you are a good
cane traveler that you have gone through a mobility training, they have you
do a video and send it in with your application for the dog, to see how fast
you walk, your gate and you mobility.

Wouldn't going to a school like blind inc be not in the best interest of the
person if they have a dog already.

I know the schools are for other training and not job mobility.  So if you
already have a dog, you should worry about you cane, I make sure I use my
cane as well, since GDF instills there will be times that you will not have
your dog, or you do not want to take your dog with you to a place, etc. etc.

In my own mind and an observation, that some people cannot survive without
them.

That is not independence at all that is being dependent of the dog.

It is like my husband saying he can't go to work because the car isn't
working.  He finds a way of getting there.

No offense to anyone.

Cheryl Echevarria
Independent Travel Consultant
http://Echevarriatravel.com