[nagdu] Blind Inc.

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 2 11:50:15 UTC 2010

Tracy and All,
    At last year's convention,each of the Executive Directors of the NFB
centers,including Shaun Mayo, and Curtis Chong, representing the Iowa
Commission for the Blind, discussed their approach to guide dogs during
training. Each of the centers seemed to be in concert about this, so I don't
think you would find much of a difference from one center to the other! None
of them - including BLIND, inc. - seemed to be "anti guide dog". They all
allow their students to use their dogs while at their centers, just not
during training hours, as their philosophy is that the white cane is the
foundation of sound O&M skills. in my opinion, this is a good approach, as I
find all too many guide dog users have poor O&M skills. I, too, believe that
the ability to travel safely and independently with a long white cane should
be a prerequisite for obtaining a guide dog!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala