[nagdu] owner training

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Sat Apr 3 12:56:06 UTC 2010

Jessica,

Every person that owner trains goes about it a bit differently.  That is the
beauty of it.  You get to do what works for you and your dog.

I use clicker training to introduce new concepts and to reinforce them.  I
will use corrections once a behavior is solidly established.  It has worked
well for me, but your mileage may vary.

It is an incredible amount of work and will take up most of your time.  I
got both Monty and Belle around 9 months old.  Belle took a year to train
and Monty 15 months.  This included all basic commands-sit, down, etc,
socialization and advanced guide work commands.   If you start with an older
dog with basic training you can shorten the time dramatically.

I got Belle and Monty from rescue organizations.  That wasn't a decision I
had made it just worked out that way.  I was open to the right dog, wherever
he/she came from.  I investigated breeders, breed rescue, small shelters,
large shelters, ads from the paper and word of mouth networking.  I looked
at a lot of dogs before settling on Monty.

I do my own version of a temperament test based on reading about two dozen
versions of temperament tests on the internet.   I'm looking for a dog that
recovers quickly from being startled, who is generally interested in people,
who doesn't mind being intrusively handled, who gets along well with other
dogs, who shows curiosity to new things and has the physical characteristics
I want.

Finding a really awesome dog is the hardest part or at least I think so.
You are putting a lot of time and energy into this dog and you want it to
work out.  I found myself second and third  guessing my decisions when I was
looking for a dog to train.  I passed on quite a few maybes.  It was hard to
know if I was making the right decision.  And you won't know if it was the
right decision until much later.  If it doesn't work out having a back up
plan is essential.   I keep my dogs as pets if it doesn't work out, but I
own my own home so that's possible for me.  However I can't just collect
dogs until I find one that works! *smile*   If Monty hadn't worked out as a
guide dog, I would have no guide dog because that would mean a third dog in
the house, which  doesn't work for my family.

HTH
Julie