[nagdu] owner training

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 15:21:08 UTC 2010

Jessica,

I agree with Julie in that the selection process is the hardest part
of owner training.  Not only do you have to look at many dogs, but
once you find a suitable pup you need to spend money on tests in order
to make sure the dog is physically sound.  For me this involved a trip
to the regular vet for him to check things like heart and lung
function, joint health, etc.  Then I take my dogs to a canine
ophthalmologist and he checks to make sure the dog's eyes are healthy
and that the dog can see.

Once you've gone through the selection process alone, you've already
laid out a pretty significant amount of time and money.  Keeping in
mind that this dog could wash out at any time and that you have more
hard work ahead.

My current dog, Laveau, is a female Doberman mix.  I got her when she
was around one year old.  I had every intension of obtaining my next
dog from a breeder and had already talked to many.  On the day I met
Laveau, I went to the shelter more to satisfy a friend than anything.
Again, I looked at lots and lots of dogs.

Laveau is very unusual because she had already been trained in
foundation behaviors-- sit, down, stay, loose leash walking.  She had
been at the shelter for five weeks and was about to be euthanized.  I
did a great many tests with her and even then I was uncertain.  Not
because she did anything "wrong" my uncertainty stemmed from me
worrying that she'd not like guide work or otherwise not want to do
the work.  I got her in mid June of 2008 and we finished proofing the
last of her traffic skills in February of 2009.  So that was about
eight months.  Keep in mind we were a bit ahead of the game because
she already had her basic obedience.

Between the months of June and February I had no life.  I spent money
on nothing but the dog.  Equipment, more vet check ups, obedience
classes to socialize her with other dogs, on transportation to expose
her to buses, streetcars and the like.  I also spent all of my free
time working out training plans, reading about others training plans,
documenting our experiences in training and actually training her.  At
first she didn't go anywhere with me and we spent time working within
six or eight blocks of our home.  Then she started accompanying me
into places where pets were allowed.  Sidewalk cafes, pet shops,
hardware stores, strip malls, etc.
Every morning before I left for work, I walked Laveau and did training
work with her.  I am lucky because my husband worked from home and
stayed with her during the day.  After I got home from a long day of
work, no sitting on my butt watching tv or surfing the web.  More
walks, more training.  The weekends were our time to explore new
places.  I went to sidewalk cafes and taught her how to lay quietly
under tables.  I sat at bus stops and taught her how to position
herself.  We spent time at the park learning to work around small
children and dogs.  I had no life outside of this dog and dog training.

Eventually she was able to come to work with me and started going
places where pets aren't allowed.  We took and passed the CGC (Canine
Good Citizen) test which doesn't have anything to do with guide or
service dog skills but it says that the dog is socialized enough to be
around dogs and people, and can carry out simple foundation behaviors.

So here we are, almost two years later, and I don't regret a moment of
it.  She's a fantastic dog and she does great work.  However owner
training is a lot of work, and it took a great deal of dedication on
both our parts.

Good luck.

Rox and the Kitchen Bitches
Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD. and Laveau Guide Dog, CGC.
"It's wildly irritating to have invented something as revolutionary as
sarcasm, only to have it abused by amateurs." -- Christopher Moore
pawpower4me at gmail.com

Windows Live Only: Brisomania at hotmail.com
AIM: Brissysgirl Yahoo: lillebriss