[nagdu] owner training

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 6 18:59:32 UTC 2010

Michelle,

Excellent!  In fact, you stated the reasons for choosing a program trained
guide dog over owner-training very well.

Including the bit where you have an instructor to teach you how to use the
dog.  For me, at least, training the dog wasn't the really hard part.  It
was training me!  Good grief!  I'm still trying to get the full working,
active lifestyle for which I trained Mitzi, so keeping up our more advanced
skills gets a bit hit and miss, especially during the winter or when the
budget is too tight for regular going out for entertainment and fun for us
humans.

So we arrange "review" trips every few months when we can, to work on those
skills.  She does great, really, all things considered.  It's the effing
handler who needs to have someone following along to retrain her!  /lol/
We're not that horrible a team, really, and we both remember how to, say, go
through Pier 1 without breaking merchandise we can't afford.  We're not
nearly as slick as I planned for us to be by now though, and I can never
escape noticing that the human is more of the "problem" than the dog.
Still, we soldier on, and she is patient with me.  /smile/

Anyway, that was very well said.  Owner-training is a perfectly valid
choice, which guide dog schools and O&M instructors would rather not agree
to, although I have met some professional guide dog trainers who have given
me great observation and advice and options for dealing with this or that.
Wonderful!

Still, just because it is possible and thus is an option, it is not for
everyone.  Okay, so I'm crazy enough to really, really want to do it again
even though I really would rather not need to since mitzi is not allowed to
get old or anything like that.  /smile/  Still I love it enough to want to
make that choice even now that I actually know what I would be getting
myself into.

And, if the conditions aren't right, I will go through a program in a
heartbeat.  If I decide I can't do it because of some factor or another,
then I won't do it.  I'll whine about it, naturally, while being very, very
grateful that I have the option of getting a guide dog and good instruction
to make me a better handler from the professionals.  /smile/

Tami Smith-Kinney