[nagdu] length of training

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Fri Apr 9 12:07:29 UTC 2010

Hello all!
Maria Orovcíková  posted on the list a bit ago about research she is doing for her Masters degree in Slovakia? I think.  I have been in contact with her and we have run into a small problem.  In her country the length of training time is measured in months.  When asked the trainers explain that they train the dogs however much time they have each day or week.

She is using the GDUI survey for info on the American programs.  GDUI has the length of training time in hours.  Maria needs to put everything into months for comparison.

So I'm wondering if people know in weeks or months how long the guide dogs from the various American programs are in formal guide training?  I know that typically it is 4 months, but when you look at the GDUI survey the hours vary from a low of 15 to a high of 120 or more.  That doesn't seem to convert easily to 4 months.

Thoughts?
I'll pass along whatever anyone has to share to Maria.

Thanks much!
Julie