[nagdu] length of training

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Apr 9 13:17:53 UTC 2010

I wonder about the big differences in hours, too.  Sounds like people were
guessing.  Like, if you asked me to estimate how many hours a month I
spend volunteering for Bookshare, I would probably make an estimate, and
probably be only vaguely in the ballpark.

Judging by Ben's vet records, he came into TSE in early April, and he was
matched with me in September.  That makes 5 months of training: April,
May, June, July and August. Although I think the pups are quarantined for
a bit when they come in, so only part of April.
I think that the instructor takes out as many dogs as can fit in the
training van, and works with each for a roughly equal amount of time.  I
think they get weekends off.  I don't know if every dog gets worked twice
a day, once a day, or even if everyone is worked every weekday.  It seems
logical that, as dogs drop out, there are fewer dogs in the string, so
each is worked more.

So I could see how estimating hours could be tricky.  I'd be real
interested to know if the scenario I've laid out is the way it really is.
Tracy