[nagdu] Hiking on trails with guide dogs and bears

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Sun Apr 11 20:27:38 UTC 2010

I went on a camping trip in the Tetons a few years ago.  We camped in the
bear recovery area.  That's where they relocate bears who were found in the
city back to a bear appropriate area.

Anyway on the first day we all got Bear 101.   The basic rules are make a
lot of noise, walk clumped together so the bear thinks you are one big thing
instead of smaller easier prey, hold a jacket over your head to look bigger,
shout for help and never, never, never run. The cowboy employees that ran
the trip all carried loaded guns in case of an emergency.

I didn't have a guide dog on the trip, but there was a dog in the camp.  He
ran about freely.  Honestly I felt much safer with the dog there.   There
were also lots of horses.  I don't think a bear could get close to the camp
without either the horses or the dog noticing.

I don't think a guide dog would be any more or less safe than you will be.

JMHO
Julie