[nagdu] Hiking on trails with guide dogs and bears

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Apr 12 14:34:27 UTC 2010

My husband and I have been hiking in grizzly country a few times, in
Glacier National Park.  We make a lot of noise, calling out every couple
minutes "Hey bears, here we come!"  We make a lot more noise than other
hikers, actually.  We figure, since we're both blind, if we got close
enough for my husband to see a bear, we would be in a lot of trouble.
A ranger told me that if we did encounter a bear, I should put my dog in a
down stay, to make him appear non-threatening.  I'm not sure my dog would
comply, though.  The ranger also said that dogs and bears are natural
enemies.
We feel nervous hiking in bear country, but we enjoy it a lot, too.

BTW, I'm always amazed how well my city dogs do hiking.  They look for the
easiest part of the trail, because they already their person is apt to
trip over cracks and rough spots.
One of my labs did have a lake distraction problem, though.  Those big
bodies of water just made her wild with excitement! If we were walking
straight towards a lake, she would want to run and dabble her feet in the
water.
Tracy