[nagdu] Hiking on trails with guide dogs and bears

Ed Meskys edmeskys at roadrunner.com
Mon Apr 12 17:14:13 UTC 2010

In 03 my wife and I went to a science fiction convention in San Jose, and
then stayed in the area for two weeks of tourism. We took a three night
camping tour into Yosemite National Park. (We found about it in the San
Francisco Hostelling International dorm. Anyhow, first day we were driven
from the campsite to the upper part of the park, and were told to climb a
mountain (Hamilton??). I was 67, and my wife a month short of 57, and the
next oldest person in our group was around 30. We were told that about half
way up the mountain was a rest area with benches, a lake for swimming, and a
shop with refreshments. We were told we can stop there, but the bold were
encouraged to go all the way. It was a steep, rocky trail, but did not
involve technical climbing with pitons (spelling?) and ropes. We did
beautifully, my SE dog Judge doing well getting me over rocks, tree-roots,
etc. But I always have much more difficulty going down-hill, so I chickened
out and stopped half-way to the rest area. I sat on a large rock and
listened to my BookPort. My wife, Sandy, went on to the rest area, rested,
and came back to meet me. I needn't have worried about the trip down. Judge
did a marvelous job of picking a trail, often going the long way around to
avoid a steep drop, or other obstacle. Sometimes I had to use Sandy's
shoulder for balance, but we made it down beautifully. She said she could
see Judge really thinking and choosing a path.

No bears, but a marvelous experience, and Judge working beyond anything he
had been trained for.

Ed Meskys & Gyro