[nagdu] why do we have to let airlines know that you have a dog

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 14 06:05:07 UTC 2010

Jenine,

Great info! Haven't had to consider the flying issues recently, but I
generally do notify my regular cab company, just because I like having
friendly relations with them.  They're not so johnny-on-the-spot out here in
the far 'burbs as they were when I was close to downtown, though, so I'm
less likely to mention the poodle.  That's especially so if I'm calling
another company.  Cab service is just unpredictable out here, so if I need a
cab, I don't need to wait forever...  Can't remember if I mentioned the dog
beforehand when I flew in 2008...  I got there plenty early, though, and was
able to check in with the person at the desk and just make sure everything
was okay.  So it worked.  Except for the security on the layover in Houston,
where they were a little overzealous about protecting passengers from
recently relieved poosles and sleep walking blind women.  /lol/  Wish I knew
the look I used when the large security guard -- with large hands and
fingers, was snapping on gloves while telling me he would need to give my
poodle a cavity search.  Not that I would let a security guard with tiny
hands give my poodle guide a cavity search!  But as far as I was concerned,
this guy was *not* going to even think about it for another second!  So he
apparently stopped thinking about it, took off the gloves and everything.
Whew!  Next time I fly, I will have a better going-back-through-security
strategy, that's for sure!

Tami Smith-Kinney