[nagdu] Guide dogs of the Desert?

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 14 18:03:44 UTC 2010

Hi Justin:

Yes, I believe that GDD has recently, or is in the process of, moving it's school facilities to the place you mentione (white water I think). I had applied at that school because I was looking for a poodle and had been accepted for a possible match in the fall but  another school I applied at came through with a graduating poodle sooner. So don't get put off by their published waiting list. I was told 2 years or more and my class would have been just barely a year for their more rare breeds.

My class at Guide Dogs Canada starts on May 3rd. (man that is getting close  and I'm getting anxious :)

In my research about GDD I heard really good things about their head trainer. I also liked that it is a very small school. The only down side is due to funding short falls the client has to pay for their own transportation to the school. After that everything is covered as per other schools.

I believe the school that had the funding issues was called Guiding Eyes located in Phoenix. In my research I did not find anything negative about GDD. I was looking forward to going there partly for the good trainer, breeds I was looking for (poodle or lab poodle cross) and it is located in  the same time zone as me since I live in Vancouver British Columbia Canada. If you go to their website (just google guide dogs of the desert) you should get some good information. they mostly do labs I think.

If you would like to contact me off list please feel free.

thanks
Gary