[nagdu] problems with new dog

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 20 21:26:54 UTC 2010

Julie,

I agree about the squirt bottle.  Not enough control for Cheryl in that
method.  /smile/

Sounds like her plan of having her spouse tell the visitors to buzz the gate
and wait for her to get the dog so that she has control is a good one.

Daisy dog apparently had the squirt bottle method applied to her; I had to
stop using anything that make make that kind of sound for six months or more
of dedicated work on her anxiety issues before I could use my leave-in
conditioner without having to drop everything and pull her off of Mitzi
because she had gone crazed.  Daisy, not Mitzi. She never hurt Mitzi, but I
have a firm policy of no beating up the guide dog because I spray stuff in
my hair when you're in the other room.  Or for any other reason.  /smile/

Whatever caused Daisy to be crazy over squirt or spray bottles, it was
apparently pretty traumatic.  Sigh.  Then again, she was traumatized in a
lot of ways, and I had to untangle many kinks in her psyche before I started
anything like training... She's pretty good now even when she does get riled
up, and she can bring herself back down or I can bring her down pretty
easily.  Whew!

Anyway, the possibility of stuff -- even plain water -- in the eyes is one
reason I've never gone with the squirt bottle plan even with cats.  /smile/
My cats would end up having manners and learning boundaries without that.  I
wouldn't call them trained...  They were cats, after all.  /grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney