[nagdu] Play time

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Wed Apr 21 17:00:56 UTC 2010

Iona,

This past winter I taught Monty to put his chin in the palm of my hand using
clicker.  I'm sure one of these days I'll find a use for that behavior.
*smile*  It is cute though and I enjoy the contact.

Sometimes I drag an empty box out of the basement and just click for
anything the dogs do with the box.  I never have a specific plan in mind and
no intention of doing anything with it long term.  I sorta let the dogs
explore and problem solve.  Usually there is some definite goal I dream up
after a minute or two...stepping into the box, tipping it over, putting one
foot on top etc.

I used to play this a lot with Monty when he was still a puppy.  Older
puppies have this weird thing where their thought process and limbs don't
exactly sync up.  the front half will be going one direction and the back
half another.  So we'd play the box game to build coordination.

I also taught Monty to jump through a hoop and run on a treadmill using
clicker.  He's an incredibly high energy dog or was in his puppy days.  I
had to be creative to keep him occupied.  Bored Boxer puppies...well I don't
want to think about bored Boxer puppies! LOL

Julie