[nagdu] Self-trained guide dogs

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 22 19:21:23 UTC 2010

Cheryl,

I don't!  They're not required, and they're meaningless.  I could print one
off the internet, but so can any fool with an ill-mannered pet, so I just
can't see the point.  Especially when, as near as I've ever been able to
learn, it's not technically legal for someone to require it!  I guess they
can require proof of blindness...  And I keep forgetting to carry that
around, just in case.  And my dog has to be licensed by the county and all
the same stuff required for a pet.

But an I.D. is not required for access.  It's pretty easy to demonstrate
that she is specifically trained to mitigate my disability...  Unless I
happen to run into someone who thinks all the guiding and finding and not
eating the merchandise and whatever happens by accident?  Then again, I've
managed to blow through access challenges so far, but I have had some odd
ones.  So the challenge to her training could happen, probably in
conjunction with my suddenly learning I'm not really blind.  Then again, an
i.d. card off the internet for the dog wouldn't help with that sort of
individual attitude anyway, so...  I just haven't bothered.  /grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney