[nagdu] newspaper article: Pets and Gardens Don't Always Mix

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Thu Apr 29 12:41:36 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I saw the following article online from my hometown paper, and thought it
had some useful info for us, and perhaps to pass along to pet owning
friends.

Sherrill O'Brien...lots of Sherrill's/Cheryls on this list now.

	Ask the Vet: Pets and gardens don’t always mix The Register-Mail
 Courtesy PhotoDr. Ray Cahill owns and operates SeaPort Veterinary Hospital
in
Gloucester, Mass.
GateHouse News Service
Posted Apr 27, 2010 @ 12:44 PM
We’ve been getting a lot of questions lately about springtime garden
hazards.
Here are some tips to keep your pets out of harm’s way.
Some of the fertilizers, plants and bulbs that we fill our carts with at the
garden center may pose risks to our pets. Having an understanding of these
products and taking a few basic precautions will help us avoid potential
problems.
First, remove all pet toys and food/water bowls from the yard prior to using
any
lawn products. After the yard has been treated, keep your pets away from
that
area for 24 to 48 hours (or longer if otherwise directed). If your pet does
contact an area that was recently treated, rinse them off with cool water
and
then bathe them in cool water using liquid dish soap such as Dawn. It’s also
good idea to mark your lawn so that other pet owners know it’s been treated.
Having a good understanding of the potential side effects of the products
you’re
using can also help you know what to look for in case you think your pet got
into a treated area of your property. For example, there are many slug/snail
baits that contain metaldehyde and are very toxic to pets. If you have
applied
slug pellets to your property, monitor your pets carefully for drooling,
twitching, tremors and seizures.
Another popular yard product this time of year is cocoa mulch, which is made
of
cocoa bean shells. This mulch can have the same toxic effects as high doses
of
chocolate and can lead to vomiting, diarrhea and neurologic symptoms similar
those for metaldehyde exposure. A 10-pound dog can get very sick from eating
as
little as 1 ounce of cocoa mulch, so you may want to consider another option
when beautifying your garden.
Plants and plant bulbs are also a potential hazard to pets if eaten. For a
detailed list of toxic and non-toxic plants, go to
aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/.
If you think your pet ingested something toxic in your yard, the best way to
help them is to call your veterinarian immediately. They may direct you to
the
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435.
Dr. Ray Cahill owns and operates SeaPort Veterinary Hospital in Gloucester,
Mass. Submit questions to seaportvet at verizon.net.
Copyright 2010 The Register-Mail. Some rights reserved
SEO by eLocalListing | Advertiser profiles | Cherrp Local