[nagdu] Got a question for the list

Mark J. Cadigan kramc11 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 12:03:29 UTC 2010

Got a question for the list
I am still working on convincing my parents to allow me to get a guide dog.
I think I am going to apply and let the parents know once I am accepted and
already going to a class. I will be leaving for college soon, and believe
the only way to get a guide dog is to just go do it. What potential problems
are there with this approach? By this I mean, will schools accept me without
talking to my parents?

I have not given up on convincing my parents. I think the process will be so
much smoother with them supporting it. However there support is not a
necessity. I will be living away at college and won't be seeing them
regularly.

Another question I have is, is there any literature out there promoting the
use of a guide dog. Most of the literature published by organizations not
affiliated with the guide dog schools is either against dogs, or neutral on
the subject. Information published by the schools is biased in favor of
dogs. My parents highly value the opinions of experts, so I think the key is
to find a neutral expert that agrees with me.

Thanks for all your help
Mark