[nagdu] Critical blind people

Cathryn Bonnette cathrynisfinally at verizon.net
Sun Aug 1 03:10:21 UTC 2010

Hi Rox - thanks for responding. I'm trying to recall if I've gotten many
direct responses from this list. A few, I think, and sometimes I'm
distracted and don't get back to them. Anyway, I would like to learn sign
language, and given the way my eyes are currently NOT working, I would have
to learn it tactually. OK, cannot juggle any more balls in the air at
present, but to be continued. . .
On the topic of getting lost easily-
A few years ago, I went shopping with my mom in Ann Arbor to a medium sized
mall in daylight. She was normally sighted, drove us there in her own car,
and found a parking place. After we shopped for a few hours, we went to find
the car. To my astonishment she wandered around for 2 and one half hours
looking for her own car that she parked in a not so big place!!!
(Unfortunately, I figured she knew what she was doing, so I hadn't asked any
questions or taken note of where the car was parked before we went inside.)
So much for the capabilities of some not deafblind persons!/smile/
Abby is definitely not a great help with balance- though she has learned to
plant her feet and stand firm when I start to trip etc. On a good day when
she has a healthy appetite, Abby weighs in at approximately 63 lbs. My vet
says she looks good although she started out as a "50 lb. shepherd".  I am
5'8'', and I need about 20 more lbs.- all of it in leg length!!!! I work out
with Abby including games of "tug of war" where I make her pull against me
using her back legs. Once she gained 4 lbs. in a month, and the vet told me
it was all muscle!
On the topic of insects being scrutinized, I think you should take an
autograph book next time. Then when you have their attention, you can hold
up the book and offer to give out autographs. They will think that you are
already a seleb and line up!/lol/
My comparison is the stares that I am told I get from other movie goers when
Abby and I go to a movie theater. I just turn a half circle as though I am
taking them all in, and announce that Abby watches the movie, and I have
20/20 hearing. /grin/ They laugh.  That seems to "break the ice", the
staring stops,  and we all go inside as human beings, or at least that is
what I like to think happens.

All right, I have procrastinated long enough. The laundry waits!

Thanks much for taking the time to read this. I am enjoying getting
acquainted.

Be well.

Cathryn (& Abby)