[nagdu] clicker training

Katrin Andberg katrin at maplewooddog.com
Sun Aug 1 16:13:55 UTC 2010

People who use dogs for hunting often use a whistle recall.  Many retriever
breeders introduce their young litters to the whistle at feeding times to
associate a high value with coming to the whistle.  Many breeders will toot
the whistle 2 or 3x as they set down the puppy's food dish.  Then quickly
over time the pups associate the whistle with coming for a meal and
eventually coming to the person blowing the whistle in general.

Katrin

Katrin Andberg

 <mailto:katrin at maplewooddog.com> katrin at maplewooddog.com

Julie,

I think people in the UK use a whistle for recall, and this is a great

idea.  I may start out by blowing the whistle, click and treat.

Eventually you can start pairing the whistle with the recall cue.

However to avoid any kind of startle response I'd introduce it before

hand so he has that association of whistle equals yummyness.