[nagdu] clicker training

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 1 16:39:50 UTC 2010

Rox,

Great explanations.  I was trying to think of how to answer Meghan's
questions late last night and decided to give it time.  Because we were
first-timers together, Mitzi and I were not nearly so organized.  Also, I
had quite a bit more residual vision to use, so I could use it some to
reinforce behaviors that avoided obstacles.  If that makes sense.  And I did
a lot of going about with my youngster on leash, praising and clicking and
treating like the wind for good behavior.  She picked up an awful lot during
that phase to apply to guide work.

Next time, I'm going to be a lot blinder -- maybe even total by then (I
hope!) -- so will have to use my brain a lot more to figure out how to teach
some of the skills.

Still, a fully clicker trained dog is a whole 'nother animal from one who
learns by avoiding punishment.  /smile/ Once the dog understands how
rewarding it is to give me the behavior I want, she starts offering up
behaviors that will get the click or the praise.  /smile/  As the learning
process continued with Mitzi, she would begin offering up more and more
appropriate behaviors because she was learning to make better choices.
That's when things get really fun, and you get to spend a lot of time being
totally awed by your brilliant, clever dog!  Love it.

Tami Smith-Kinney