[nagdu] Critical blind people

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Mon Aug 2 16:46:12 UTC 2010

Well, ranting again, or is it whining?--smile.
I like to say I whine because my last name is Weiner, pronounced like the
word whiner.

Most blind people that I know are very much in to themselves and their lives
and never seem to have the time to do what you're saying  Most of them have
their coterie of sighted helpers or family and friends and are rather
unadventurous.--smile.  This also reflects more of a trend towards people
closing themselves off, sighted or blind, and not being as out-going or
friendly..  I know one or two exceptions, but it's that way generally I've
seen.
The need to have people drive you many times makes the situation more
problematic.

Now, though, your comment about walking using a new cane technique reminds
me of a silly thing I did in late high school.
A friend and I were walking, my being guided, (I said guided to avoid the
sighted guide, human guide controversy--smile).
We decided for a block for him to use the cane based on my instructions,
that was interesting.
Then he opened his eyes and whispered instructions so he would be guided by
me and we'd go in to the restaurant with him the cane user to see how people
react.
He was rather shocked that, of course, the restaurant people started talking
to me about him--smile.

Silly, right, but teen-agers do silly things, and it taught my buddy a
lesson about people's attitudes.

Dan W. and the Carter Nut