[nagdu] Critical blind people

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 2 16:25:19 UTC 2010

Dan,

Everybody knows how to be blind better than every one else!  /grin/  I will
admit that I absolutely adore being around and doing stuff with blind or
deafblind people who are as curious as I am, and we will find outselves
spontaneously heading off on unplanned adventures just to learn from each
other and compare techniques -- in a positive, learning way, not a "my way
is better than yours" way.  That's a whole lot of fun.  Although the results
can sometimes be disconcerting, because sometimes curious, adventure-seeking
types can get a bit too gung ho trying to out-cool each other.  /smile/
Suddenly deciding to try out someone else's (like mine) different cane
technique while cruising along down the sidewalk yapping can result in
unexpected contact with obstacles one might have missed using his own
familiar technique. /grin/  When the person talking about cane techniques is
a fairly new guide dog user, she can frustrate the heck out of her dog by
forgetting to listen to what the dog is telling her.  Poor Mitzi! /grin/
But we all had fun and learned a lot at the same time, then got spend the
last part of the walk home laughing at ourselves, which is what it's all
about, I guess.

My young college student deafblind friend is now on to bigger and better
things as a post grad.  She's also one who has spent her time more in the
TABS (temporarily able-bodied, which I stole from Rox) world than the pwd
world...  Although she does a lot of volunteer stuff with other pwd, some of
it international, then she tells me about it, so that's way cool.

The thing is, when we would get together, especially at one of our homes, we
would have no idea how to interact with each other.  /lol/  She's a partial,
in both hearing and sight, so if I pitch my voice right she can hear me
fairly well, unless we were somewhere there was too much background noise.
But we would both have a tendency to wait for the other person to move so we
could figure out what was what and what to do based on the other person's
movements.  /lol/  Fortunately, she was as willing to laugh about it as I
was, only we would  both catch on, laugh, and start moving at the same time
and run into each other.  /grin/

Very interesting.  She appears to be quite skilled at appearing to be
perfectly in tune and in command of a situation whether she has a clue or
not.  This is something I aspire to, but am too nerdy/geeky to truly achieve
to the extent that I like to think I can.  I do have some success, because
people tend to forget I'm blind until I trip on a curb or something.  That
doesn't happen so much now that I'm using my Mitzi guide...  Unless I get
overconfident and think I know what I'm doing as a handler and let myself
get out of sync with her.  She sighs.  And then stands and ignores my bad
behavior until I shape up and do it the right way.

I do find that in organized groups of other blind people, I find myself
feeling very out of place and a bit strained.  The social norm does seem to
be about giving others advice on how to do simple things.  Sometimes this is
useful advice, but there's something about the tone and the manner of
speaking -- like I'm too stupid to tie my own shoes -- that stand my hair on
end just a bit.

Frankly, it sounds like the social workers who supposedly teach blindness
skills and the like who are so verbally and even physically abusive in
dealing with their blind clients and who have always seemed to me to take it
as their purpose in life to ensure that blind people stay in their cages
where they belong.  Here in Oregon that is especially the case.  Ugh!  So I
run into a lot of blind people around here whose definition of independence
and self-confidence varies a whole lot from mine.  /smile/

Also, the physical disabiity I've been doing battle with these past 4 years
(I've almost won!) doesn't help.  It's all about blindness.  If you have to
adapt to anther issue, then, well, you're just not a proper blind person!
Again, ugh!

Tami Smith-Kinney