[nagdu] ranting handling skills?

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 2 21:21:13 UTC 2010

Lora,

>From what I hear, TSE is very good about working with their grads.  I always
forget that most guide dog handlers can call their school when they run into
issues.  /smile/  I can understand why, given your recent history with
guides, you would be hesitant to do that, but you are dealing with a
different organization and group of folks...

Having someone who knows the training methods and the dog and you come out
to help diagnose what's going on could be really valuable.  Or, if you have
sighted friends who can accompany you through the area where you're having
difficulties, it might give you a better idea of *what* your dog is
responding to.  More information is always good! /smile/

As for handling skills...  You're a really new first-time guide dog handler,
aren't you?  It's always a good idea to remember and be aware of your role
as handler in your dog's behavior and response to the environment...
Otherwise, you won't learn.  But using a guide dog is a skill that requires
much practice.  And you're starting out -- as we all do -- with a dog who is
still learning his own side of the skill set he needs so that you can become
a smoothly function working team.

In other words, don't cap on yourself so hard that you increase your own
anxiety when problems occur.  I speak from experience when I say that is
easier said than done, but our very social nonverbal critters pick up on the
first whiff of attitude from us.  I use breathing and force a smile while
getting my head straight internally when I notice I'm getting the wrong
'tude, but that's just me.  It helps a lot that I now have enough experience
and am working with an experienced enough guide that it's pretty much habit
and I'm so used to making the same mistakes over and over that at least I
have learned to not let that bother me so much. /smile/

Anyway, let us know how things go!  It sounds like there are loose dogs in
your neighborhood or along your usual routes?  I will be interested in any
solution anyone has to offer about how to deal with that when you're using a
guide dog.

Tami Smith-Kinney