[nagdu] playing tug was ranting handling skills?

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Tue Aug 3 18:06:08 UTC 2010

Lora,

I can't play tug with a dog that shakes the toy back and forth either.  It
hurts my hand and wrist pretty badly.

I do a couple of things.  I encourage the dog to tug in ways that don't hurt
my hand.  I simply let go if the tugging is painful.  I do not subscribe to
the belief that letting a dog win at tug will unbalance our partnership.

Also I have found that a rope tug with some space between the dog's muzzle
and my hand seriously decreases the force of the shaking motion.  The rope
will move all over the place, but my hand doesn't absorb very much of the
movement.

HTH
Julie