[nagdu] Owner Training questions

Danielle Nicole Larsen dnlarsen75 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 15:05:05 UTC 2010

Hi Everyone
I knwo we hit this topic a little bit but it's been a spiking interest
of mine lately. I'm considering getting a guide from the seeing eye, but
think that maybe one day I'd like to TRY to owner train my own guide. I
think it would be a pretty cool experience. So I have a couple of
questions about it!
1: Do you get an outsider trainer to help you with the training techniques?
2: Is your dogs trained for traffic checks?
3: At what age do you put your dog in harness for the first time?
4 :How long did it take to make your dog successful at guide work?
5: If your dog that you put into harness didn't want to work after all
the training did you keep them as a pet? Find another career for them?
6: Do you expose your puppy in training to things like flying or trains
at a young age? Is that allowed in your home town?
7: If you have an owner trained dog did you ever have experience w/ a
dog from a school? If you did is there any differences in how your dog
does with traveling?
I'm a very frequent flier / traveler so I'm curous if I were to owner
train how to make sure tehy are comfortabel going all over!

Sorry for the list of questions, but I'm really curious!
Thanks for reading. Happy Weekend!
-Danielle