[nagdu] anticipating

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Fri Aug 13 22:05:10 UTC 2010

Okay, You're definitely right about the schools teaching the dogs to work up
to the curb.  What I didn't say clearly is that they don't tell you never to
allow such turning, as long as you are aware of where you are when you're
back home.  I usually work up to the curb even if my dog has shown me a
familiar turn just so she knows who makes the decisions.  But I still
appreciate the effort, as it indicates the dog is also taking some
initiative.  Often it's just plain helpful!  What I really like is when a
dog learns to pause in anticipation of a street crossing where you're in the
middle of a block, and the street you need to find doesn't go through.  That
way, you don't have to waste time going clear to the next corner, crossing
and backtracking.

Sherrill