[nagdu] Odd encounter second edition

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 16 19:14:37 UTC 2010

Cathryn,

That's pretty much the approach I take with verbal idiocy.  I make a big
fuss over the cute little poodle who is ignoring the fools without giving
them any hint that I noticed them....

And I hope they don't escalate...  I listen for that, because I can never
tell if it's some dumb kids who think they're being clever and funny without
a clue they're causing a problem or evil jerk kids who are trying to do harm
and cause a problem...  Sometimes the differences between the two types are
subtle in terms of tone and language and whatever I can hear of movement
from them.  So I'm always thinking about what I'm going to do if...  So far,
that hasn't been an issue, and I just get to do distraction training and
love on my dog while whatever it is ceases for lack of interest.  /smile/

Then there are the clearly adult morons....  You know, the ones who are past
meouwing or barking at the guide dog, or making snide comments about her or
blind people or stuff just to prove how cool they are.  Sigh.  There was
"shake" guy who I seriously really and truly did consider whacking soundly
over the head with the folding cane in my back pocket since talking to him
wasn't making an impact and he was in my dog's face so I couldn't even sit
down as the bus started to move -- plus I didn't want to get back to the
process of making sure of my seat before I sat down because I needed to get
him off my dog...  Grrr!  He was my first bus idiot, come to think of it, so
I was fairly nonplussed as to what, exactly, to do.  I'd heard about that
sort of thing, but I guess part of me didn't actually believe people would
8be* that way, so I was unprepared with a response.  Sigh.

Then there was the woman who spent an entire bus trip telling me repeatedly
that the lady who moved farther back in the bus as I was getting on was
afraid of my dog.  She was just annoying and my efforts to find a reasonable
basis for discussion and education just elicited the same words:  "I think
that lady was afraid of your dog.  She moved when you were getting on.  I
think she was afraid of your dog."  Then turned out to be going to the same
MAX (light rail) stop I was and needed me to show her the way, while she
kept on about the same thing!  Thank heavens she didn't end up taking the
same train I did, because I was now getting tired of hearing myself say that
perhaps it was so, I didn't know, but that she moved while I was still
taking my transfer ticket from the driver, so there didn't seem to be any
problem, and I sat where I'm supposed to sit because those seats are set
aside for me and my dog, and my dog was under the seat and out of the way...
The woman who had moved was bright blonde and waring light colored clothes,
so I had been aware of her movement, but she was gone by the time I got to
the seats.  She moved quickly, but I didn't hear any shrieking or pick up
signs that she was running scared.  For all I knew, she just decided to
leave the Honored Citizen seating area to clear the way for my Honored self.
I'm really proud of myself on that one, though, because I was able to
repeatedly resist the urge to snap, "That's *her* problem, not mine!"

Those are my two favorites from the bus/train...  Except for the problem of
hale and hearty people refusing to move to one of the many empty seats set
aside especially for them so that I can't sit down with my dog...  Some of
the trains here have stairs to go up (then down) right inside the door, so I
feel especially grumpy when I start to figure out that I'm standing there
with my dog under my legs to keep her out of the way because I thought I'd
walked into an Honored Citizen convention of some sort, only it's just a
gathering of rude jerks.  In fact, before I ride the train again, I need to
contact Tri-Met to find out what my civilized options are there.  I always
feel at a big disadvantage in that situation because the sounds are so
confusing along with the movement of the train that it takes me awhile to
figure out what's what unless I fell with my hands...  I'm just not
comfortable feeling up random strangers, I guess.  /smile/

Tami Smith-Kinney