[nagdu] anticipating

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 16 23:23:33 UTC 2010

Julie,

Interesting way to describe it.  I get a lot of entertainment trying to
puzzle out how Mitzi puts together the information and comes up with the
right conclusion, but by now I just expect to spend the rest of my life
being baffled.

When we're on familiar routes and I know where we are in general at least,
then I can safely consider that it may be clues from me she's picking up...

Being the sort of person who tends to head off into the great unknown -- or
to end up in the great unknown by not orienting properly before setting off
to where I think I know where I'm going, I have discovered that Mitzi can
figure out on her own with no help from -- sometimes with a lot of whining
and resisting from me because I feel all lost -- where we intended to go in
the first place (and I generallly tell her the itinerary, although it's
often just me veralizing it to myself) and how to get there after I get us
off course...  Then there are those times when I set out on a purposely
random adventure to practice my own skills at getting unlost and because I
think that sort of adventure is kind of fun, and I will occasionally decide
to follow her hints and statements of preference once I get us suitably
lost, just to see what happens, since I can now take myself out of the
equation what with being more or less, you know, lost.  Call it scientific
curiosity.  What *is* a dog's capacity for complex decision making and
communicating past a species barrier?

Well, so far I've come to the inescapable conclusion that it is far more
than I expect based on my own knowledge and experience, even.  Of course, I
still don't know what clues I'm giving her based on my subconscious
awareness of where I am and which direction I'm facing and all of that, even
though my conscious brain is stuck on, "Huh? Where am I and how did I get
here?"  /grin/

Anyway, I like hearing how you describe Monty's doing some of that same
abstract reasoning to arrive at a correct conclusion -- apparently, anyway.
Also, your list of factors that could be informing his small choices so that
it just appears he can read your mind and take you to the right place...

If I ever find a canine mind reading machine, I am going to devote my life
to figuring out how guide dogs do it in their brain.  Translating their
extraordinary training into real life work as a guide takes something extra
that I know must be there but can't begin to define.  Hm....

Tami Smith-Kinney