[nagdu] Guide work and hiking

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 16 23:37:37 UTC 2010

Lora,

Now *that* is what it's all about!  /smile/  Then they learn how to do all
that tricky hiking terrain stuff, and you learn how to follow them, and
that's when you start to have *real* fun.  /smile/

I love hiking with my girl, too.  I also love the fact that she has
somewhere along the line turned into a young lady who go out in the wood and
get down and dirty, then tidy up a bit for an evening of downtown elegance
with her fine etiquette and comportment.  /smile/  I spent a long, long time
wondering if she would ever settle down enough to have the manners she would
need to be a fully realized guide dog...  And now I can eat an entire
restaurant meal -- *and* dessert -- without suddenly panicky when I realize
nothing is pulling on the leash tied around my leg.  /lol/  In fact, last
time I noticed and paused, my first thought was that, of course, she was
just resting while I ate and chatted.  So I gave her a pat of praise,
because sure enough that's what she was doing.  It took awhile to get over
the habit of thinking frantically, "OMG!  Where has she gone, and what is
she doing?"  /lol/  She never did do any of the crimes I would imagine in my
worst fear, or even just wander off in a restaurant or grocery store or...
She sure wan't a big fan of lying quietly without trying to stick her nose
in stuff, though.  /grin/

See?  They do learn and grow up!

Tami Smith-Kinney