[nagdu] was anticipating; now follow

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 22:56:56 UTC 2010

Laveau hates to follow.  She'll do it now that she's been doing the
guide dog thing for nearly two years but she will never like it.  This
was such a strange concept to me as my dogs before had been goldens
who would follow anyone!  This was by far, the hardest skill for me to
teach.  We keep in practice regularly because I can't hear the person
I'm following so it's important.  I hate going sighted guide so it was
something she had to learn and eventually she did.  She'd much rather
be guiding out front, though.

Laveau does also anticipate turns and destinations and I really do
encourage this.  Because I'm deaf, I don't have all of the auditory
environmental cues that most other blind people have so I do rely on
my dog to tell me about things around me.  She will move on if I tell
her not today.

Rox and the Herbal HenchHounds
Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD. and Laveau Guide Dog, CGC.
"It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point
out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-
wit, and the emperor remains an emperor."-- Neil Gaiman
http://www.pawpowercreations.com/retreat.html
pawpower4me at gmail.com
AIM: Brissysgirl