[nagdu] Sniffing

Charlene Ota caota at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Aug 18 00:14:50 UTC 2010

Hi, Suzy, yes, you do want to keep the sniffing under control because it is
a form of distraction most definitely. I'm sure people here will have lots
of suggestions. There are lots of ways to try and you might have to mix
things up a bit to get this corrected. You'll really have to pay attention
to your dog and when you feel her just beginning to think about sniffing,
cues might be tension in her body, turning her head, the way they breathe
when they sniff, you'll just have to really get tuned into her to catch her
right in the beginning. When she's focused and you're walking along you
might also talk to her and praise her for doing a great job just so she
knows very clearly what you really do want from her. You might try talking
to her firmly and getting more stern if she persists. I don't know how
sensitive she is to vocal cues. If she's not then you'll also have to use
leash corrections. You might just pick up her leash in your hand at first so
you might get her attention focused back where it needs to be but again if
thata doesn't work you have to use firmer corrections. Depending on the
methods your school uses you'll probably be able to figure out some things
to do. When she focuses back on  her work use lots of praise and really
encourage her to do the right thing. That's some thoughts anyway.

Charlene