[nagdu] Sniffing

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Wed Aug 18 20:23:15 UTC 2010

I looked at the Cannie sp? collar a few months ago.  I thought seriously
about buying one.  In the end I decided not to.  Here's what I found out.

It's a head collar similar to the Gentle Leader or Haltie.  the main
difference is that the leash attaches at the back of the head/top of the
neck instead of under the chin of the dog.  When you pull on the leash it
tightens both around the neck and pulls the nose loop down.  But since the
leash attaches at the back you don't get the sideways pull on the head,
which I think is a good thing.

The only concern I have heard about the thing is that if you continue to
pull on the leash  past where it is safe to do so, the dog's nose will
continue to be pulled down and it could possibly cause a neck injury.  For a
guide dog that is generally well behaved and you're just refining a behavior
I think it would be appropriate.  I don't think it'd work for a rambunctious
dog just learning to walk on leash though.  At least I'd worry about too
much pulling and damaging vertebrae.

It's also rather expensive at about $50.  In the end I just couldn't part
with that amount of cash.

HTH
Julie