[nagdu] Another Reason for Having Your Own Harness

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 20 15:18:10 UTC 2010

Mark,
    One of the most important things to look at is whether or not the school
transfers ownership upon graduation. This, I believe, speaks volumes about
the attitude the school has about blindness! Some schools may assert that
"This is the trend among guide dog schools today!" but this is categorically
false! As to the "trend", though it is true that some schools offer
ownership and others some form of "waiting period, there is no "trend". If
there is, I believe the trend is toward a more dignified, respectful policy
that believes a blind person is capable of caring for a dog and doesn't need
a parental figure looking over our shoulders.
    Another assertion I have heard is that, if ownership is transferred, we
limit the availability of follow-up services. Frankly, this is untrue, as
those schools that transfer ownership have just as solid follow-up services
available as those who do not! The Seeing Eye, for instance, has always
transferred ownership since their inception 80+ years ago. There are no more
problems than among those who do not transfer ownership, I am told their
follow-up is second to none, and their graduates seem to be excellent
handlers. In an effort for full disclosure, I am not a TSE grad. I received
my guide dog from the Guide Dog Foundation (GDF) which also transfers
ownership upon graduation and, I have found, provides very good follow-up
services.
    BTW, the guy who kicked his dog to death in a drunken rage, it is my
understanding, was on his second dog and had Inky for more than two years,
so any such policy would not have prevented this. Even if I am incorrect,
how would not having ownership have prevented this unfortunate incident? It
would not have, unless the school was following him around everywhere he
went. Is this what is meant by "follow-up"?
    In those few cases in which a blind person is allegedly abusing their
dog and has ownership, there must be objective, third-party evidence of
abuse by someone qualified to make such an assessment, such as a
veterinarian or an animal services officer. In those incidents in which a
blind person does not own the dog, the school can arbitrarily remove the dog
without cause and without due process!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala