[nagdu] choosing a school

AnnaLisa Anderson annalisa at sector14.net
Tue Aug 24 01:20:34 UTC 2010

Hi Steve and all,

Steve, I hear ya.  I have had two wonderful dogs from LD, and I have
established a good relationship with them over the years.  I have also made
so many friends from there, handlers and raisers, it would be pretty painful
for me to break ties with the school over ownership.  Part of me feels as if
I would be betraying them, not the school so much, but the people there and
the good friends I have made.  Not to mention the hassle of applying to
another school and being put on a waiting list for who knows how long...
But Sunny is almost 8 years old, so I am being forced to think about it
more.  She is not ready for retirement yet, but who knows how much longer
she has, a year, two years, three?  If I did decide to make the switch, how
soon would I have to think of starting the application process?  I really
strongly disagree with the ownership policy, but there are so many other
positive things the school has done, and is doing to improve things, such as
the Trekker program, the accelerated mobility program, the wonderful new
dorm they built a few years ago, reducing class sizes etc., I just don't
know whether ownership is a big enough deal to me to switch schools.  And I
ask myself, by not switching schools with the current policy as it is now,
am I only helping to perpetuate this paternalistic policy?  I know what
Marion would say, a definite and resounding yes! <smile>  On the one hand,
would it be better for me to stay there and voice my strong objection and
maybe by doing so try to change things, or on the other hand, would it be
better for me to leave and tell them why I am choosing not to go there
again?  I truly am doing a lot of soul searching about this, and I want to
hear from you on this list because you can be more objective.  It would be
great to hear from anyone but especially other LD grads on this.  Of course
I know in the long run, the decision is mine, but I value your opinions as
well and want to hear from all sides of the issue to help me decide.

Thanks.

AnnaLisa and Sundance