[nagdu] EXTERNAL:Re: choosing a school

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 25 22:23:17 UTC 2010

Dan,

Well, as someone who decided to owner-train *instead* of going to a school,
I can assure that learning to trust the dog you've worked so hard to turn
into a guide dog you can trust is not as easy as it sound.  /smile/  Even
when you know intellectually that the dog is trained and ready, even when
you know the proper things to do and commands to give, and all the education
is done...  Setting out with your guide dog, of which you are now the
handler, not the trainer, is cause for a major head trip.  /grin/

I thought I would *never* get past myself.  Good grief!  Mitzi had to have a
lot of patience with me and teach me how to do things right.

I had a much harder time training myself -- especially training myself to
relax and let my dog do her job -- than I did in training the dog.  I hasn't
really been that long that my dog and go set off to where we want to go like
we're a team or something.  /grin/  It is fun when it happens.  Takes a lot
of stubborn determination to get there.

Tami Smith-Kinney