[nagdu] Service Dog Story Leads To Apology, New Training

Ginger Kutsch gingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 13:24:57 UTC 2010

Service Dog Story Leads To Apology, New Training

A man who was told to leave a Chillicothe store because his
service dog was with him accepted the store's apology Saturday
after meeting with store management.

By NBC 4 News Staff
Published: August 28, 2010

CHILLICOTHE, OHIO --
A man who was told to leave a retail store in Chillicothe earlier
this week has been offered an apology for refusing to admit his
service dog.

NBC 4 told you about Joe Lucas and Harley on Thursday.

That was after Joe had been told he couldn't bring his service
dog with him into the Sack And Save on Main Street in
Chillicothe.

Police were called and although they agreed that Joe had the
right to bring his dog into the store with him, Joe was
embarrassed and didn't want the confrontation to befall anyone
else who uses a service dog.

Joe suffers seizures that Harley is trained to anticipate and
alert Joe to go to a safe place.

Joe said all he wanted was an apology.

Saturday he got it.

Chuck Urick, the manager of the Chillicothe store met with Joe
and said, "We apologize, and in our organization it will never
happen again with us."

He went on to say that there will be a complete training program
for all employees to make them aware of the laws involving
service dogs and signs will be posted in stores all over Ohio.

That response was perfect, as far as Joe is concerned.

"The store responding so quickly, and they are just more than
willing to do everything I have asked them to do. I think it's
wonderful."

Source:
http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2010/aug/28/7/service-dog-story-leads-
apology-new-training-ar-212663/